HOMILY, MONDAY, 11TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME
1Kings 21:1-16, Matthew 5:38-42
The spirit of Jezebel is a stranger in our home. It is a devilish influence in our lives, relationship, families, communities, and nations. It comes often as an outside influence. It can creep into our lives if we are not careful. It can operate both in a man or a woman.
The fact remains that we cannot walk with God holding hands with devil. We must say no to this bad spirit in ourselves and in others.
- The Spirit of Jezebel works to discredit the works of any faithful servants of God.
- Those who have the spirit would twist the word of God to manipulate people to follow them and not God.
- Jezebelic people hate the truth and they can do anything to bring down anyone who speaks the truth.
- This spirit will not allow a woman to submit to a man. She does submit once in a while only to get something she needs.
- People with this spirit look innocent but are ravenous wolves.
- They help you to gain control over you.
- The spirit of Jezebel is immoral. it hates purity.
- They love the place of authority where people can adore them.
- They find it hard to forgive. Waiting for revenge.
Today’s gospel says, “Do not resist evil. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.”
- They look for details about who you are.
- They are very intelligent and can keep information for years until when they are ready to use it against their victims.
- They feed on others’ gifts, because they don’t have real gifts of their own. They sap others to be relevant.
- They can volunteer for any kind of work in the church. They need admiration. They have many friends, but no close friends. Find it hard to keep close friends.
- When in power they can be too authoritative and they instil fear in their subjects, making people feel their success depends on him or her.
- They are go-geter.
- They don’t understand love as described in 1Cor 13:4-8.
- Depriving people with this spirit information is like stabbing them. they want you to carry them along in all things.
- The spirit often attaches itself to musicians and uses them to corrupt others with their dirty lyrics. Musicians should be aware.
- A Jezebel is coming for your inheritance and your future. This must be resisted.
- They have several accounts on social media to reach out to their preys.
- They trust in the way they look.
- They seek to know everything about you.
- Always playing victim when they cannot achieve their aims.
- They pretend to be spiritual and religious. Be beware.
- They hate people who are happy in their relationship. Something must be done to scatter the relationship. etc
Though a king, Ahab’s heart could not readily kill Naboth. Instead, he lay down on his bed and turned away his face, and would eat no food. If he is naturally brutal, he would have called for the execution of Naboth. It was, Jezebel, the stranger in his home who did the job and this was complemented by his instinct to acquire. Without reflection on the means, he hurriedly went for the end; he arose to go down to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it. He was badly influenced by the destructive spirit in his wife. He gave in easily because of his greed.
The power to say no to Satan is with us through Jesus Christ our Lord. The possibility of submitting to the devilish influence is in our refusal to work on our vices and repent.
We are called to guard ourselves, our families, homes and nations against foreign invaders. At times, the one who is possessed by this spirit comes as a helper, a mentor, or someone who wants the best for us. If we are not careful, he or she will kill crush life out of us and lure us into evil.
O Lord. Guide my steps and shield me from evil influence. Make good my desires and tailor my longings towards your holy will. Deliver me from whatever is Jezebelic in me. Thy kingdom come. Amen.