HOMILY OF SUNDAY OF THE 5TH WEEK OF EASTER.
Acts 6:1-7, 1 Peter 2:4-9, John 14:1-12
THEME: THE POWER OF AN INFLUENCER
Be careful with your choice of a mentor. Don’t be too quick to make someone your hero. Whoever you idolize has the password to your heart. The person you are following has a root. By your consent or assent you become a part of his or her history and will share in their eternal destiny.
Jesus said to the disciples,
“You know the way to the place where I am going.’
Thomas said, ‘Lord, we do not know where you are going, so how can we know the way?’ Jesus said:
I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.
No one can come to the Father except through me.
If you know me, you know my Father too.
From this moment you know him and have seen him.”
Jesus is the way to the Father. Accepting him is accepting his father. In him, God shares in our humanity that we may share in his divinity.
Likewise, whoever we accept links us to someone else we may not know. It is good we know who we relate with. This helps us to know whether they are worth following.
A look into the lifestyles of some celebrities today shows how much influence they have on a society engrossed in frivolities. The modern day is driven by what is in vogue. In the bid to follow media influencers, one must be ready to be consumed by their ideals, lest one ignorantly enters unsigned deals that can snuff out the grace of God in us.
Jesus is greater than all influencers. He is the way to life. His truth establishes us on a firm foundation that no civilisation can dethrone. He is the Chief Cornerstone. He leads us to life eternal.
I will end this reflection with this beautiful analogy,
– When GOD wanted to create fish , he spoke to the sea .
– When GOD wanted to create trees , he spoke to the earth .
– But when GOD wanted to create man , he turned to HIMSELF .
– So GOD said: ” Let us make man in our image and likeness” .
Note:- If you take a fish out of the water , it will die ; and when you remove a tree from the ground , it also dies .– Similarly, when man disconnects from GOD , he dies
– GOD is our natural environment . We were created to live in HIS presence – We have to be connected with Him because only with Him, life exists.
– Let’s stay connected with GOD .
– Remember that water without fish is still water ,but fish without water is nothing .
– The soil without the tree is still soil , but the tree without soil is nothing …
– God without man is still God , but man without GOD is nothing
An unknown author
Jesus has come to lead us to God. He is the priest and the victim. He is the temple, the living stone. His sacrifice of the Holy Eucharist leads us to God. His influence is enough for us. His light helps us to sail through the sea of life. by the virtue of our baptism we share in his life, we are priests, prophets ,and kings. May we always be connected to God, our eternal source. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.